Friday, September 18, 2009

What Knitting's Taught Me Thus Far...

I finished my first knitting project last night, and I'm so excited!

I've crocheted forever, but knitting is something quite new to me, and quite hard actually. I had tried to learn several times before, but it wasn't until my trip to Denver that I finally got someone (Kristen) who understood me well enough to get how to teach me.

I'm still terribly excited that I completed a project without having a breakdown or throwing the needles. The only thing I've ever managed to knit before this is a swatch, and even that usually resulted in the needles being thrown across the room.

I'll be posting some pictures in a few days, but in the meantime, in honor of learning a few things along the way with this piece, I'd like to share those things, in hopes that they might help others.

  • Unlike crochet, the number of starting stitches you cast on does not directly relate to the width of your piece.
  • Related to the above point, casting on 40 on 15s is *way* too wide for a scarf
  • Watching television while knitting can sometimes lead to disaster, and the forced repeat of several rows due to error.
  • A russian join is a good way to connect two balls of yarn together, but it doesn't work very well when you're doing something open, or using 15s. Or when you aren't really good at it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails